Saturday, May 31, 2008

Hot, Hot, Hot!

I think I'm going to love this weather. It got up to 29C today. Even the locals were complaining. I didn't think it was too bad but I had a lot to drink. There was a bit of a breeze but mainly the air was hot and humid. Yesterday I took in a free play downtown in the park. The local Shakespeare troop puts on plays all summer and was doing Pericles, Prince of Tyre (it had nothing to do with Michelin). It was good but didn't have the local spirit that the actors from Shakespeare by the Sea in Halifax have. I did enjoy it and will likely go again. I think Jane and Isabelle would like it (there were lots of families there). The interesting thing about the Greenville's open air public events is that you can bring your own wine or drinks. All you need to do is buy a bracelet at the door for $1 and you're good to go. It's really quit neat and not necessarily what you'd expect in the South. The Jockey Lot today was interesting. Think of the largest yard sale you've ever been to and then think of it five to ten times as big. There lots of tools (big, small, used , and new), clothing, household products, belts and leather, coins (no stamps), guns, animals, and the usual junk. The canteens were busy but selling traditional stuff like corn dogs, chili dogs, boiled peanuts, and burgers. I had a snack and brought some peanuts home for later. I didn't buy anything but there were some deals to be had. (I don't know that I can take my dad there-it might get expensive!) The rest of day was taking care of business. A trip to the grocery store and getting the Internet, TV, and phone set-up for the new house. It only took about an hour of standing at the kiosk but I think I have it sorted out. The groceries here all have self check-out, which makes buying alcohol interesting. I also signed up for a BiLo Bonus Card. It's amazing the savings if you sign-up for one of these little things. I have one for Jane when she arrives. Tonight I think I might go see a movie. It's not something I do much unless I'm by myself. I've heard good things and bad about the new Indiana Jones movie (The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull) but I think I'll take a chance on it. I'm a big fan. As for Sunday's activities I haven't decided yet. I may head north to the mountains towards Asheville. There are a few outdoor stores up that way that I want to see. Who knows where I'll end up?
Updated:
Here is a picture of the amphitheatre where the play took place.

2 comments:

JMFS said...

i can't believe you are going to see Harrison without me!!!!!

Paul Melanson said...

In the end I decided not to. I didn't even go to the movies. We may be able to go when you get here.