Thursday, May 8, 2008

Day Two

OK so here goes. A new sport here at the Pelham Library-Speed Blogging. I'm on the express computer and only have 15, make that 14 minutes. Let's see what I can get out. Had a good day at our North American Headquarters. Got some stuff sorted out, like my pay, and am set to meet with the realtor tomorrow. Hopefully that day will go well. I'm torn between a few houses I've looked at. I spent the afternoon stalking Greenville and cruising neighborhoods. Some of the houses Jane I picked from the Internet look very nice, others just don't give me a warm feeling. Sometimes it's the location, sometimes the look of them. I was surprised by a few. I also had a look at a house that belongs to one of my colleagues. It was also interesting. Things sure are different down here. I also managed to get some banking sorted out. It only took an hour to go through it in person. I put in about 12 hours trying to get a bank account from Nova Scotia and am still waiting for the reply. A well, that's how things go. The weather is still hot (surprise) but beautiful. The air-conditioning is nice too. All the flowers that are about to bloom here have already come and gone in Nova Scotia. I saw some irises here that were well past their prime. I start work on Monday so we'll see how that goes. I also have Intercultural training next week. I guess I have to learn how to be an American. I suppose I'll learn how to say "you'all" and other southern phrases. What I need help with is all the forms and systems I need to get through to get a driver's licence and a social security card. Unfortunately Jane will have to go through some of this too. At least they supply me with a "greeter" who is from the area and knows who to talk to and where to stand in line. Sorry but I still don't have any pictures for the site. Maybe this weekend.

No comments: