Saturday, May 10, 2008

The Weekend

Had a quiet day today. So far I've been to two Markets. One was the State Farmer's Market out side the city. It was authentic. I bought local beans, zucchini, potatoes, and lemons for tonight's dinner. They also had quite a selection of plants and flowers for sale. The lady I spoke to said the produce just keeps right on coming until they get into squash and other things at Thanksgiving. That's American Thanksgiving in November. The other market was down on Main Street and was a little more touristy. There were the usual crafts people and musicians, a few tables selling produce, meats, ans callops. Off course the peanut stand was there too. How do you like yours? There was boiled, baked, deep-fried, and Cajun. I had a taste of the deep-fried variety and they we quite good. Some people were eating them shell and all. Downtown Greenville is the greenest city center I've ever seen. They have beautiful trees along the main street and a pedestrian friendly atmosphere (even though the drivers don't think so). Falls Park is nice as well. I took some pictures. Everything is so clean and warm this time of year. I can't wait to take Jane, Isabelle, and Maggie down for a stroll on Saturday mornings. I made a point of checking out the Mast General Store again. I know a few people who are really going to like it in there. It's a real fun place to visit. I also took a run out of town and did a little sightseeing. Traveler's Rest was nice and my favorite store is still there. Sunrift Adventures is full of kayaks, tents, and camping gear. I did buy a small gift for a "little" someone. I hope she likes them. I also stopped in to Halfmoon Outfitters, another of my favorite spots when I'm down here.
I'm not sure what I'll do tonight. I have some paperwork to do for all sorts of things. I'm also reading more than I ever have. I have an old Dan Brown novel (he wrote The DaVinci Code) that I've started after having it around for a few years. (It's called Digital Fortress.) Sometimes I forget how much I do enjoy reading if only I had more time and less to do. I wouldn't change anything but I'll take advantage of it while I'm down here.
As for the house hunting-I've taken a day off at Jane's suggestion to let some stuff sink in. I think I have things narrowed down to a few houses but none is perfect. I simply may not be able to find perfection down here in the few days and weeks that I have. The question is which imperfection do we want to live with? Only time will tell.
I hope everyone out there is well and I'll see about sending you some warm weather-we certainly have enough of it here.

2 comments:

D said...

Glad to hear all is well & it sounds like you've found your spots with the outfitters.

That bridge looks like an engineering feat
D

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see these places you are describing! I just remembered I owe you 20$. I will give it to Jane. Your wife is some smart-good advice to take a day off of housing.
Taryn