Thursday, May 29, 2008

Back In the South

I'm back in Greenville. Got here yesterday and had a brief lesson in American bureaucracy. It turns out the customs and immigration people in Halifax didn't process my paperwork correctly when I arrived the first time. That didn't stop me from coming in but it slows down a few thing here. I tried to apply for my Social Security Number and found out that it would take at least 4 weeks. (It was supposed to happen very quickly once I had been here for 2 weeks and the paperwork had caught up to me.) Anyway after going to the Social Security Center yesterday, an Immigration Office and a Border Control and Customs office today, I will have to go back to see where things stand next Friday. All of this so I can pay taxes and get a driver's licence. I hope it goes better for Jane and Isabelle in Portland. Today was the big move day in Kentville. Jane was back and forth to me a few times but in the end it looks like everything is on the truck and ready to go. I need to work out the details here for unloading and unpacking but hopefully is will all happen smoothly. I'm relieved and sad to say goodbye to the house in Kentville. I have many good memories from there. This weekend should be quiet for me. I hope to go to the Jockey Lot. It's a huge flea market/farmer's market here in the Upstate. I'm going just to have a look around but you never know what you'll find in a place like this. We do need a little furniture for the new house so I will be keeping my eyes open. Otherwise the apartment was essentially the way I left it. I did do some groceries yesterday and need to get a new cell phone. We also haven't decided on a regular phone provider for the house. Everything is quite different here. Hopefully the head cold I brought with me will pass. I need a few good nights of sleep to get over it because next week will be busy. I have a week in our plant in Spartanburg, I sign the lease and inspect the new place on Friday, and then have the weekend to settle into the new house. I promise pictures once I've moved in.

2 comments:

Taryn said...

I went and saw Jane yesterday afternoon and she was doing quite well with the movers. There was a bit of an issue getting your saw thingy out of the basement, but they must have got it because the truck was gone shortly after! Jane was taking lots of pics and being really brave. Your kayaks made it on the truck, btw.See you soon!

Paul Melanson said...

Thanks for the update. Jane has put on a brave face but it's good to hear things seem to have gone well from someone else.
Later