Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Becoming an American

OK so maybe that's a little harsh, but today was all about intercultural training. We were introduced to some interesting social and cultural ideas that help to explain why Americans are the way they are and why Canadians are the way they are. We also got into how to get along and adjust to life down here. Little things the average Canadian wouldn't think of were interesting and surprising (to buy gas with cash at a gas station you have to pay inside first-they don't trust anyone, when getting pulled over by a police officer keep your hands on the wheel until asked for your ID-DON'T reach for the glove box, you are allowed and expected to tip your letter carrier, once a year at Christmas-Jane will approve!, and so on). The class was done by an American consultant and a Canadian RBC employee who is living in Greenville (he moonlights as a consultant). The day was well put together and flowed well. I'd heard that the American Civil War and the American Revolutionary War were key to the history down here but I had no idea they were this important. It really seems to have shaped the social and cultural fabric of the American, and especially Southern American, people (and those are big words from an engineer!). It was very interesting (I didn't have very big expectations going into it), and I ended up meeting a couple of Canadians while I was there. Mostly the participants were older couples, although there were a few younger people, mainly from our sales office in Laval, PQ. Spouses were encouraged to attend and Jane may be able to make it up in the fall if she wants. The house hunting continues. I received multiple calls today about viewing some homes with my Realtor. I will be going on another tour tomorrow. I took the time today after work to have a first look at some of them and they look pretty good. It will be hard to tell for sure if any are keepers until I walk through them. The market here is very fluid and houses aren't lasting very long. So far there seems to be new houses replacing the ones that get rented so we still have lots of choice. I just need to find that perfect one that allows us time, a yard, lots of bedrooms, and a good location. Wish me luck tomorrow. My first day at work yesterday was good. I got my badge for the new facility, found the best parking spots, and met my new colleagues. The team seems nice and I'll be getting an office all to myself. That seems to be a luxury down here. There are lots of people in cubicles. I also got my computer, but because things move slowly I can't use it at home yet. The trip home is still on. For those of you in the Valley I'll be around next week for a week long visit to my old plant in Waterville. I'm staying into the following week to take care of a few things while I'm back in Nova Scotia. As long as everything goes to plan we should be moving out on the 26th, 27th, and 28th. It sure will make everything seem sort of final.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your culture class sure sounds interesting! Good tip about the gas and the cop stop seeing as we'll be driving down...
Taryn "lead foot" O'Brien (just kidding).

Paul Melanson said...

There's more. You need to make sure you pull over to the left hand lane if you see a police officer with someone stopped on the side. Going by them in the lane nearest to them can get you pulled over with a stiff fine. Also, in SC and many southern states, no one uses their horn. If you do, be ready for a gun...seriously.