Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Kayak Update

I'm coming up to the final stages on Isabelle's kayak. The coaming was pretty much the most difficult component to finish up. I had to redo some of it. Here is a picture of the canvas pinned to the coaming through the holes that will eventually be used to sew the two together.

This is what it looked like from up close. In the end I should have made the holes bigger but I was worried about the strength of the coaming. It is Isabelle's boat after all and I suspect it will be beat up a little. After several hours this is the finished result. The pictures below show the final result, at least before the paint. It certainly looks sharp and I can see why some people say it's a shame to paint them. In this case I haven't decided what colour to paint it. Remember it is for Isabelle. Any ideas? Feel free to post your suggestions. I think I'll stencil some sharks, whales, and starfish on the finished product. For the paddlers out there, here is a video I came across on YouTube. I didn't realize MEC did this sort of thing.

Other than that I am preparing for a big trip to Ireland and France. I hope the weather will be good and the flights will cooperate. It will be a real planes, trains, and automobiles kind of event. More driving on the "wrong side of the road" in Ireland and the TGV to Clermont-Ferrand from Paris. I'm looking forward to it but not as much as I am looking forward to our five day weekend at the beach in June. It might be the launch of Isabelle's boat. Either way it will be a good time.

1 comment:

Taryn said...

Paul, the boat looks fantastic! Congrats! Colour? First I thought blue, but perhaps bright yellow so she does not blend in with the water :) Have a great time across the pond, you lucky devil!