Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Asheboro, NC

Here I am on another business trip in Asheboro, North Carolina. We have a small retread facility here and I've finally had an opportunity to visit.

Asheborro is a small town about the size of Truro. It was founded in 1796 on Christmas Day. Seems like a strange day but I guess they'll never forget it.

We rolled in on Tuesday, spent some time in the plant, and finished up around 5:00. At 6:00 we walked across the street to eat at a place called The Rockola Cafe (be careful-the website plays music as soon as you log on). It is a less expensive version of the Hard Rock Cafe. The menu was pretty typical and the decor interesting. My colleague and I sat in the bar with the lonely business men. At least we had each other to talk to, some of these guys just flirted with the barmaids and played with their Blackberries.

Along with our free appetizer coupons from the hotel (I had nachos with some good chili on top) we also ate some decent sized mains. A rack of ribs for me and a steak for my friend. Both were good but the ribs certainly were not as good as they are back in Greenville at the local barbecue spots. The beans and slaw were very nice.

In the end it made for another anniversary away from each other. Jane and I are happily married for 8 years on May 12th and can't seem to put two anniversaries in a row together. Last year I was in SC house hunting while she was packing up the house back in Kentville. This year I am away in another state. Seems like there is always something going on somewhere that keeps us apart on the big day. I guess it doesn't matter so much as long as you make the best of the time you have together.

No comments: