Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

First of all Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there, especially to my mother Diane, and my grandmother, and my mother in-law (that doesn't sound right- how about Elizabeth instead), and Gran, and all the others out there who have mothered me over the years (Ann Y., Tante Elaine, Tante Etta, just to name a few). Here in SC it was a good day with activities and quiet time for most. We got out to Downtown Greenville for Artishpere and saw some neat art. Artisphere is a neat event with lots of artists showing off their stuff along with other performers and activities. There were some great street performers, musical groups, and acrobats, and a big tent with lots activities for the kids. Isabelle made a mask, a maraca, and did some abstract painting. Maggie stayed home by herself for all of three hours and didn't wreck the place (that's progress). It was a good day. Now for a little story. A few years ago when I was just little my Dad bought himself a small welder for the workshop. The problem was that he bought it on Valentine's Day! Ever since then my Mom has always wondered what she'll get for Valentine's Day or Mother's Day or her birthday. Well this year I'm following in my father's footsteps...read on. Saturday was the subdivision wide yard sale. I guess in order to keep the yard sales to a minimum they have one or two big ones a year and put up all sorts of advertising for them. It keeps the neighborhood respectable. In our part of the neighborhood there were lots of houses with things for sale (we didn't participate-we sold most of our junk, I mean treasures, when we moved). There were also lots of people out looking for a bargain. At 27 Redglobe I got up early with Isabelle (as is normal for a Saturday) and got breakfast moving. Jane was up not long after and went to the store to pick up a few things since we were having company over for supper. When she got back at 8:30 or so she mentioned there was lots to see. I had been on and off as to what I wanted to do that day so made a decision and jumped on my bike to hit the streets. At the sixth stop I saw something that caught my eye. There was a perfectly good, gently used, beautiful whitewater kayak. I couldn't believe my eyes! It was the boat I had learned to roll in back in Newfoundland. Well in the end you could say I bought myself a kayak (at a good price) for Mother's Day, just like my Dad who got himself a welder for Valentine's Day. For those of you who know boats it's a Corsica Overflow Pro-Line by Perception. They don't make it any more and haven't for a good number of years. It was actually made just a few miles form here in Easley SC. Now if I can just get Isabelle's kayak finished. Actually I am making progress. I have all but one small seam sewn. Next comes the coaming. After that will be the paint. Still no decision on the colour but it may have to wait for a while as I have a couple of busy weeks with work coming up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Paul for the Mother's day wishes. I appreciate it. Love your pictures. Isabelle looks great dans son kayak.