Thursday, June 16, 2011

Isabelle's First Competition (and I was the nervous one!)

When Isabelle took here first step I was impressed but had no idea what it would lead to. When we moved to SC and she started the Michelin French School I was shocked when she came home after her second week and spoke French to me after all the French I had thrown at her. When she jumped off the platform at the USNWC and zip lined down to the ground 32 feet below I was impressed. But for all of that I don't think I have ever been as as proud of her as tonight when she swam in her first swim race and finished so well with so much energy and such confidence.

Now I'm not usually too emotional but I'm not too proud to say I welled up inside. My little girl is growing up and out there with the big kids. She cut some serious time of her best time to date, but more importantly she went through the whole process by herself. The pit where all the kids wait, the line up behind the blocks, the excitement of watching all the other heats, and finally jumping in and going through the "Take you marks" and then the start buzzer. I was worried she'd pull on the lane marker or turn too early at the wall and get disqualified. It's not that she was out there to win, but that she would have been absolutely heartbroken. But in the end she nailed it. She made me so darn proud.

Anyway, here is the set-up and the race itself. Here she is in her racing suit with her race number markered on her arm and her Orchard Farms Gators swim cap.

Below she is in the line-up with the other girls in her heat. I think she was more excited but Jane and I were more nervous.

Here she gets some last minute advice from Mr. Bill, our neighbor and one of the officials at the meet.

Next is the race itself. You can see me shaking as I watch through the camera. I also cut it a little short so I could be there when she got out of the pool.

Well next week she wants to swim freestyle, breast stroke, and backstroke. Why not? I'm not about to stand in her way.

2 comments:

D said...

You Go Girl!
Well done

sbs105 .@. mun.ca said...

Impressive technique and fitness level Isabelle!!!