Saturday, June 11, 2011

Another Trip to The USNWC

This week I went to the USNWC yet again. I love that place. This time it all started with a visit from a few months ago.

I had heard the center would be hosting the USA Canoe & Kayak Team Trials. I spread the word,  Pascal took me up on the offer and we were on our way with Isabelle and some of her friends. It turned out to be a great day. Pascal and I enjoyed it and the kids had a good time. Here is some of the fun.
The K-1 men were pretty impressive. Here is some of the biggest water. I don`t have the nerve to run this channel yet, much less worry about hitting gates.

This is one of the Canadians who come down to compete. They fared pretty well and finished in the top five in a few events, even though they can`t make actually the US team.

The C-1 event was also very impressive. It's really cool how these guys maneuver these boats and manage to roll them.
Of course there were the other "competitors." They did some rock climbing, the Mega Jump (a controlled fall from a 46 foot tall tower), and the Climb 2 Zip (a climb up a net to a 32 foot platform and then a 100 foot zip line down). Isabelle had done some of this before (last summer at the USNWC) but it was lots more fun with friends.
Here is the crew: Isabelle, Claire, &, Louis. Louis is in Isabelle's class and Claire is his big sister.

Here are Isabelle and Louis on the Climb 2 Zip.

Following the trip with Pascal he convinced the school that it would make a great end of year trip for the senior class. Since I am such a fan I asked to go along. The school took me up on it and here we are.

The students had a great time and I even got to paddle a little. Here are the pictures.







I also strapped the camera to my helmet and got a few good (I think) videos of the whitewater.

The first is of M-Wave, the big class 3 run.

The second is of some surfing on the Entrance Exam section.


Finally some big waves in the Playboat Channel.

Overall I think a good time was had by all.

1 comment:

Kerrie said...

Indeed it was a fun day for everyone! You were sweet to go along...and Much appreciated! :-)