Friday, October 3, 2008

Working, Eating, Driving, and Staying Warm in Northern Ireland


Ireland is great. I've enjoyed my trip here so far although I miss the family back home. I feel like I'm missing Isabelle's growing up even though I'm only gone for a little over a week. I also know that Maggie isn't the same when one of the family is missing. She just can't seem to relax sometimes, while other times she's just silly. Anyway, I'll be back in less than a week.

Now, the plant in Ballymena here is relatively old. The people on the other hand are very friendly and seem very dedicated and willing to get the job done. My project went well and wrapped up today. After that I'm spending a few days getting to know the plant and some of the people I'll be working with on a regular basis. That will be Monday and Tuesday, then it's back home to Greenville.

Food here is very good. We've mainly been eating at pubs. Tuesday was Ellie Mae's, a quiet little inn and restaurant just outside of Templepatrick where we are staying at a Hilton. I had a lovely pork chop dinner with beans on the side and an order of champ. Champ is one of the best ways to eat mashed potatoes because they add green onions, butter, and cream.

The Hilton here is attached to a large convention centre, it has two restaurants, a bar, and a golf course. The fitness centre is private but open to guests. It has a full gym, pool, sauna and multipurpose room. The breakfasts are first class with everything you'd ever want including black pudding, beans, kippers, porridge, and the usual American fare.

On Wednesday we ate at the a small pub on the way back from the plant called the Ramble Inn. The fish and chips was huge. It also came with mushy peas. For those of you who don't know it's like mashed peas. Tonight we ate at a golf club just outside of town at a Restaurant called Barnaby's. I had curry but one of the guys had a chicken dish with fried banana and pineapple that we delicious. Jack had a chicken Caesar that had 3 chicken breasts. They sure don't skimp on portion sizes here.

To finish, one of the best things about being here is that I can get a glass of hard cider no matter where I go. As most of you know I don't drink beer but I love cider. The Stongbow was perfect last night. I don't think I've had a Stongbow from the tap since I was in Newfoundland.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Always glad to read your blogs

Mame