Thursday, October 2, 2008

On the Road Again, & Again, & Again...

We made it back from Atlanta with little difficulty. Isabelle did have a meltdown once or twice but we are chalking it up to too many activities and not enough rest. She had a big weekend, and so did we. The hotel we stayed at in Marietta was very good and the price was good too. The only thing that could have been better was the temperature of the outdoor pool. It was like swimming in the Atlantic in Nova Scotia. Atlanta itself was amazing. It is as large as it is said to be but getting around was mostly fairly simple as long as we used the GPS. We went downtown twice-once on Friday and once on Saturday-both times traffic was a little heavy but not too bad. Parking was easy. Friday we saw the Georgia Aquarium. It was absolutely amazing! It is all indoors (which surprised me after visiting the Vancouver Aquarium) but was huge and very well done. We didn't get to see the penguins due to some construction but the rest of the place was great. Food was a little expensive and the admission seemed a little high but in the end I can't wait to go back. The aquarium is set-up with seven or eight galleries and each has a theme. By far the best one is the one we saw last. The tank in the Undersea Discovery holds hundreds of fish including hammer head sharks and whale sharks. It was very impressive. I will try to post pictures. (They should be here if this works) I am writing this from Ireland as I am here on business. The hotel I'm at doesn't have a very good internet system but I'm trying to keep up with the blog and my email. The weather here is typical Irish weather. It's rained everyday since we got here and the temperature is hardly ever over 10 degrees C. It feels like Nova Scotia in November. Having said that it is lovely here. Getting here was a bit of a challenge. Hurricane Ike blew up the east coast on Sunday and delayed most of the flights through Newark, NJ. My connection was through Newark so I spent three hours on Sunday at Greenville airport waiting for the flight, and then when I finally got on they said it would be another hour before we left (we didn't have clearance to land in Newark!). In the end my colleague and I got off and went home to try again the next day. That went well but made for a long day on Tuesday as we went from the airport straight to the plant. I was happy to see my bed on Tuesday night. I will try to keep up the blog as I have more time this week. I hope to get out to do some sightseeing on the weekend with a friend form Nova Scotia who is also here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Read your blog, the aquarium seems really good.
Mame