Sunday, October 12, 2008

Artwork, Fall for Greenville, Pumpkintown, and the Irish Cough

Before I went to Ireland we talked about it at length with Isabelle so it wouldn't be a surprise for her when I left. She in return made a few drawings for me to take along. Here they are. They sure have progressed from the days of colours on a page. I kept these in my notebook while I was away.
Now that I'm home and back to a somewhat normal routine I need to get to the gym again. My problem is what one fellow in Ballymena described as the "Irish Cough". I have this sore throat that I can't seem to shake. I'm not feeling any other symptoms but if I'm going to get a cold I wish it would just get here already. This weekend we took in two big events in and around Greenville. The first was Fall for Greenville. It is a downtown street and food festival that also includes music and kids activities. We went without Isabelle on Friday night and ate a whole bunch of things from Thai to barbecue to Indian. It all works a little like a carnival. You buy tickets and then use your tickets to buy from the vendors. Most of Main Street is shutdown for it and pedestrians pretty much have the run of the place. They serve beer and wine too but you have to buy a bracelet to have some. It costs one dollar and makes things easier when it come to checking ID and controlling who can and can't drink. Saturday we went to a small place (I can't even call it a town) called Pumpkintown. It's in Pickens County about 35 miles and one hours drive northwest of Greenville. The Pumpkin Festival takes place every year at this time on the grounds of the community hall. There were maybe 150 or more craft and other vendors mostly geared up with fall decorations and produce, with a few getting into Christmas stuff (It's too early for that yet!) Food and drink were provided by local service clubs and the fire department. The foods included barbecue, the usual burgers and fries, fried fish, and fried pies and funnel cakes. The music was pure bluegrass. They had a stage for the bands and then another for the dancers, both young and old. Here is a little sample: Sunday was quiet day with a little work in the garage and a trip to the playground. Hopefully I will be up to my old self soon. I have another short trip this week to Georgia on Tuesday and should be home Thursday night. No flights this time. Thank goodness!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

C est des beaux photos que Isabelle a fait.

Mame