Thursday, June 19, 2008

The First Week-Back Together

Well our first week as a family in the house is drawing to an end-and a weekend. It's been good so far. Maggie has slept through the night a few days in a row. Isabelle is also settling in an not getting up in the night anymore. She is getting up early though. She's had breakfast with me the last two mornings before I head out to work. It's a change from my usual routine but we get to spend more time together this way (and Mummy gets to sleep in!) My work is a little slow right now because I'm in Spartanburg. Tomorrow it's back to the office and back to normal. I learned quite a bit this week but I'll be happy to be back at my desk. The week was relatively uneventful-except for tonight. Jane had her first foray into the realm of American health care. It went well and wasn't too expensive. In the end the prescription was free! I'll let her explain in her Blog. Maggie is still adjusting to being in a crate during the day when Jane and Isabelle go out. We're trying to slowly break her in so she can stay at home for a few hours at a time. It's too hot here in June, July, and August to leave her in the car. It's really sad-she howls the whole while. The neighbors seem very nice here. There seems to be a real mix of people. There are lots of kids too. It's amazing to see the toys they have-electric bikes, scooters, and cars everywhere. So far Isabelle is happy on here multicoloured tricycle. All the kids love Maggie so at least she's getting lots of attention. Tomorrow we pick-up our new Jeep. I was at the dealer today and got everything all set-up. It should be quick since I've done so much paperwork up front. On the other hand I tried to get my South Carolina driver's license today but was missing some paperwork (it's hard to believe the bureaucracy sometimes). I'll have to try again in a few weeks. One thing I did find out was how many different licence plates there are here. It's amazing. Click here to have a look. In the end when we register the Jeep and the Subaru I think we'll just stick with the basics.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A note about the grits thing (re-the review for CB): I asked the server how one should eat grits. She replied, "well, if you are from the South, you eat 'em with lots of butter. But I'm a Yankee and I put butter and maple syrup on mine." Grits are like cream of wheat, but made with corn. A little "gritty" (ha! I kill me!), but yummy.

Glad to hear y'all are settling in. Poor Maggie. Have you used an entire jar of PB yet? And Jane! What's up with the health care use?! Hope you are OK. Miss Isabelle looks too darn cute on that trike and who wouldn't love Maggie???

Cheers-Taryn
PS-So cool that I have been in your house and can picture what you describe in your blog!