Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Getting Out of My Comfort Zone

A while ago I got an email at work from a woman in our safety and security department. She is the coordinator of a program that places Michelin employees in a local middle school as mentors for students. The students/candidates are 6th, 7th, and 8th graders and both boys and girls.

The program interested me so I made a call to find out more about it. At first I didn't think much of it but then it became clearer this wasn't just an ordinary program.

The kids typically are selected because they need help with their motivation, their a attitude, and off course their grades. I was beginning to feel like I was in over my head. Don't get me wrong, I like kids, I've coached kids this age in sports, I just wasn't sure how I it would work out. I'm a white Canadian male living in the Southern US. The school is predominantly African American (is that the right way to say that?) and not exactly in the best part of town. I had visions of a tough, disrespectful, potty mouthed kid (irregardless of ethnic background) who just didn't want to be involved with the program. Add to that the fact I don't exactly make friends easily and am not that naturally outgoing and you can see why I was nervous.

So I did some research and learned a little about mentoring adolescents. There a few really good sites out there but most are very formal and organized. In our case the program coordinator promised some training but it seemed only logical that it would be before we took on this challenge. Instead it looks like it will come after.

Anyway, the first meeting was last Friday. I packed a lunch and headed to the school around 12:00 for lunch with Marc (not his real name). I was prepared for the worst but wasn't sure what to expect.

The lead in wasn't great. I met the school secretary who passed me off for the vice-principal. He seemed a little put out that I was there and certainly wasn't enthusiastic about the program. He kept an eye out for Marc and his homeroom teacher. In hindsight I suppose it's a good thing he didn't know Marc very well, at least he must not spend too much time at the principal's office.

The session went well enough. I introduced myself and asked a whole lot of questions of him. He seemed cordial enough and was likely less nervous than I was. In the end he agreed to meet with me the next week so I'll see him again on Friday. The first little while we will be just to getting to know each other. Eventually we need to get to the serious stuff and talk about goals and grades. I've heard this is a good experience for both the mentor and the mentee. I hope it turns out that way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paul! C'est une bonne experience! (what I really wanted to say is that it will be a great experience but we have not done future tense yet). No matter the outcome, you will grow and that is never bad. I'm so proud of you for taking this step...you have a lot to offer.
Taryn

Mike said...

Sounds like you did great. I bet you will both get a lot out of this experience.