Friday, August 21, 2009

What I did on my Summer Vacation

OK so maybe my trip home wasn't my whole summer vacation, I did have a few good weekends by myself here in South Carolina. But here goes anyway.

I flew into Halifax on the corporate jet (don't get excited, it's not just for executives) and met Jane at the IMP terminal where the plane gets serviced and turned around. Isabelle was already at Grandmere's by then and Maggie was at the kennel so it was just the two of us. We headed north with a picnic lunch to pop into Truro for a little shopping. Who would go shopping in Truro you ask? Anyone who needs good old fashion Canadian made underwear. Stanfields in Truro still makes the best assortment of undergarments as far as I am concerned. I got the goods I needed and a few odds and ends for paddling from the factory store they have right in the factory (duh). They tend to have lots of synthetics that are good for covering up from the sun and staying warm when you're wet (i.e.: paddling gear).

After a walk through downtown and a picnic in the park we were off to visit an "old" family friend in Bible Hill. Then it was back to Halifax for the night at the in-laws. I think we ate at Chabaa Thai. It's a relatively new place that doesn't even have a website (I think), although there seems to be Chabaa Thai restaurants all over the place including Maine, Oregon, and Scarborough. The food was good and we caught up with Jane's family.

Saturday was like a time warp. Mike and Anne drove down from Moncton sans kids and spent the day with us running around town (they live in Kitchener most of the time). Jane and I started at the Halifax Farmer's Market in the old Keith's Brewery Building before they got to town. The draw was clearly one thing and one thing only. Jane was all about the pain au chocolat from La Boulangerie La Vendeenne in Mahone Bay. You just can't get good croissants and especially chocolate croissants in Greenville, at least we haven't been able to.

Anyway, back to Mike and Anne. In some ways it was too bad we couldn't get the kids together but with Isabelle already in Saulnierville it was just as well they came alone. We first went out to the industrial park to check out some kayaks and outdoor stuff, then hit Dartmouth for John's Lunch and some fried seafood. The place is well known in the area and comes highly recommended. We then headed back to Halifax and walked around downtown and Spring Garden Road. Between book stores, art supply stores, MEC, a tattoo and piercing store, and just roaming around the crowds we did pretty well. We put on a few miles and even saw a couple of buskers on the waterfront, although it's not how I remember the buskers when I was at university in Halifax. All in all the day felt a little like when we were in school and had whole weekends to kill just doing grown-up stuff.

Dinner was at Morris East which is a lovely little place on Morris Street which specializes in gourmet pizza. A quick trip to the Atlantic News was followed by a walk in Point Pleasant Park and some ice cream. Our friends headed back to Moncton late and we headed for Tower Road and Jane's parent's again.

After another night at the Sodero's we hit the road for the Valley, but not before flying Peter's new kite on Citadel Hill. The first night was a lovely meal at Taryn's. We caught up and got all the latest from the goings on around Kentville and had a few drinks on top of it all. Taryn puts on mean dinner party. I had a few days in the plant in Waterville and Jane did some things she didn't get done the first time she was there. We ate out at the Weir's (thanks again!) and tried our luck at the Port Pub again. Eventually they will get it right, I just don't know if I have the patience to wait that long. Seems we have had some really sporadic service and food there since it's been open. We also managed to catch up with a few other people we wanted to see like the Carmichael's (and Cullen) and by complete coincidence Jane spotted here cousin sitting on a park bench in Wolfville as we drove through. There were a few of you we didn't get to meet up with. We just ran out of time. Hopefully next time...

The last phase of the trip was back to Clare to pick-up the girl and catch up with my parents. Rhea was home with John and my nephew Sam, add Gisele, Rick, Lisette, and Andre to that and you have a pretty big table at Chez Christophe. They handled our big crowd pretty well and there was lots of (sea)food for everyone. We also managed a fire on the beach and a cookout in Carleton before we had to head towards Yarmouth for our ferry to Maine. I certainly didn't have lots of time at home but I should get another weekend in when I go back up for work next week. No corporate jet this time, I fly through Washington and Toronto before getting in almost twelve hours after I leave Greenville. I just hope United doesn't break my guitar...

The ride home was uneventful. Maggie was happy to be back and seems to be sleeping better that she did when we were at my Grandmother's in Meteghan (there wasn't quite enough room at my parent's for the first time since I can remember). Isabelle is back to her old tricks and starts at the Ecole Francaise Bilingue (a.k.a the Michelin School) next week. We are gearing up for the birthday party this Sunday and have a cake to decorate (but nothing like my sister can do). I'm back at work, obviously, and it's still hot (although I know some of you think it was hot in Nova Scotia this week). I suspect everything will work out and we'll have a good fall, once we get back into the routine. (I'll try to get some pictures up when I can get at them. I'm not sure we've downloaded them from the camera yet.)

2 comments:

Taryn said...

Awesome post, Paul...thanks for the plug :)
And the link to the guitar song...I had not seen them yet and here I was giggling out loud in the dark on a Sunday morning!

Mike said...

Time Warp Eh?

A great way to describe it; guess it means something when you can pick up where you left off, even if it has been a while. Thanks to you and Jane for the great day.