Thursday, August 14, 2008

Eating Out

It's been a while since I've updated the food section of my Blog so I thought I'd make a post of the places I've been in the last few weeks. The first of note is 33 Liberty (it's at 33 Liberty Lane) . It's a nice little spot (only 9 tables-so get a reservation) and somewhat hidden. It's near a major street but certainly not easy to find. Jane found it through another blog and decided we should take Elizabeth there. The thing about this place is that it uses locally produced foods and they change their menu every week! I have to admit I was a little sceptical at first but it was a good choice in the end. For a somewhat upscale place they were very good with kids. Isabelle ate well and really enjoyed the mashed potatoes and fish cakes. To begin with we had black bean fritters. I ended up with a pork shank and mashed potatoes that was incredibly tender. Jane had the fried chicken and Elizabeth the hanger steak. Desert was good too with local peaches, blueberry cheesecake, and a cheese plate. All and all with a bottle of wine it was very nice. I'd say three stars (***) for food, $$ for the value, and :) :) :) for the overall experience. Our second outing earlier in the week was to one of the local barbecue joints. Sticky Fingers (at 1 S Main in Greenville) has restaurants all over the South Eastern US. They were very friendly in a traditional southern way. In the end we all shared a very large plate of a variety of ribs. The Rib Sampler included Memphis Style Wet, Memphis Style Dry, HabaƱero Hot and Carolina Sweet ribs. Each were good but I think I liked the Carolina ones the best. The restaurant we went to was downtown (we were going to the ballgame) but they have locations everywhere. In the end it gets :) :) overall, ** for the food, and $$ for the price. My last review is for a nice little place just across from the ballpark. I went to the Brick Street Cafe (315 Augusta Street in Greenville) with a group from work this week to wish the fellow I'm replacing well in his new job. I didn't get to see the main dining area upstairs but the little special function room in basement was very nice (despite the drapery covering up the hole in the ceiling). We were next to the bakery and the smell of cakes and bread was very tempting. I ate a very good grilled salmon on salad with corn salsa. It was the best salmon I've had in a very long time. The outside was crispy and sweet and the inside was perfectly cooked. The house dressing for the salad was also very good-it was a honey mustard meets poppy seed mix, two of my favorites. Others had fruit plates, grilled chicken Caesar salads, crab cakes, and other light fare. Dessert was also very good. The Chocolate cake was impressive and the cheesecake looked lovely. I give it :) :) along with *** for the food and $$ for the price (although I didn't pick up the tab this time!). Oh, did I mention the bottomless home made lemonade? Other than that things are going well. I'm settling in to a routine at work. I have one more week with the fellow I'm replacing before he goes back to Ireland. I still will be doing some training but we're pretty much done with the handover. I'm starting to line up trips for work as well as planning trips to Atlanta and Columbia with the family. Isabelle's birthday is coming up and we're taking her to the zoo and the SC children's museum in Columbia. It should be fun. This week also brought us some new furniture-finally. Before we left for Nova Scotia in July we ordered a new bed and a table and chair set for the kitchen. Six weeks later they finally delivered. We are very pleased with it and now our guests will have a real bed to sleep on (sorry Taryn and Elizabeth-you'll just have to come back!) As for the rest of you, we are ready when you are, just give us a few weeks notice.

1 comment:

D said...

how are the November bookings looking?