Saturday, June 26, 2010

A Little Taste of Northern Ireland

OK, so one of the benefits of my job is that I get to travel. (One of the hassles of my job is that I have to travel!) My last trip was Northern Ireland again. It was nice to be there in June rather than March or November. The sun rose each morning at about 4:30 and didn't set until well after 10:00. It made for long days.

As usual the work was good. People there remind me of Newfoundlanders in more ways than one; they are both always friendly and helpful. I met some new friends, caught up with some old ones, and saw some lovely countryside.

Here are some pictures.

Northern Ireland has some lovely beaches interspersed between the rocky points. It smelled just like home in Nova Scotia.

Then there are the castles, just sort of plopped down everywhere. This one is Carrickfergus Castle.

Later in the week we drove up to the Giant's Causeway again (I've been there a few times, it's sort of like Peggy's Cove in Nova Scotia, everyone should go at least once.) Along the way we drove by some cool surf spots. One of the guys along for the ride was a surfer/photographer so he pointed out all the good spots for me once he found out I liked to surf kayak.

Of course the countryside was lush and beautiful. There were lots of sheep who had just had their haircuts.

At the Giant's Causeway I found a Penfold post box.

Another picture at the Giant's Causeway.

On our last night a friend took a bunch of us out to the Crosskeys Inn. Unfortunately there was no music that night (maybe next time) but it was a good time none the less.

Here are a few panoramas at sunset behind the Giant's Causeway Hotel. We had a great meal there.

No comments: