Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A Good Deed

England is full of Frenchmen (and women). They were on the subway, on the train, on the streets, and especially in the airport. Sure enough there was a couple in front of me the other night as I tried to check in my bags for my flight to Belfast. Off all things they were carrying on two flats of Krispy Kreme doughnuts. I suppose I should have asked them where they got them (I though Krispy Kreme was a US thing, but apparently they have stores in the UK to0) but that's not the point.

The point is that airline and transportation authority rules restrict liquids and gels in the cabin. So the question is where does a jelly or creme filled doughnut fall? Well apparently it's OK. I translated for this young couple who didn't speak any English first at the check in desk and then at security. That's where I left them. In the end I saw the fellow in the departures area holding his flat of doughnuts. I guess things aren't as strict here in the UK as back in the USA. I don't think that would have flown (excuse the pun) back at Newark Liberty Airport in New Jersey, then again the Americans do like their doughnuts.

On another note did you know Tim Hortons is also in the UK? Yep, they have outlets in Ireland and Scotland (even in Ballymena, where I am). Who knows where else? The Internet isn't very good at locating them, but I've seen them with my own eyes.

No comments: