Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Dog Days of Summer

Now that fall is officially here (it got here on the 22nd at 21:18 UTC) I thought I'd bemoan the lost days of summer. The summer here was hot but not as hot as it has been. I don't remember any days above 100 but I'm sure there was one or two. All in all it was a good season with some (just a little really) paddling, lots of family time, and a few trips to Nova Scotia. I suppose the trip back to NS are why I missed the worst of the heat. Oh well...

Now for the dog part. Maggie has had a hard go of it but was a trooper through two major road trips. One was to Nova Scotia and another all the way back. I wasn't sure she'd make it and was prepared for the worst but she seems to be hanging on.

She's sitting next to me right now doing what she does best: napping and snoring. She snores like an old man and could give my dad a run for his money. The last few weeks she's developed a few more little lumps but nothing to get too worried about yet. She did have a nasty spell a few weekends ago where she had a bit of an "accident" on the carpet while we were out at a ballgame. We still have yet to get the carpet steam cleaned, but at least it doesn't smell. It's amazing the home remedies that are out there on the Internet for cleaning up "messes".

Other than that Jane is at least able to leave her home alone for a few hours at a time before she gets frantic or needs to go out. This is a drastic improvement over a few months ago when we couldn't really go anywhere. She is a senior dog but she's been good to us. I remember the days in Kentville where she would chew up one or two books a day. Now it seems she doesn't do much other than sleep and eat.

Here are some random shots of her, starting with the most recent, I think:

Some of these are from the summer when Jane and Isabelle were in Cape Breton.

This is Milford House early in the morning.

The last shot above is when she had her incident. We thought she may have blown another knee. She really didn't react very well to the treatment and the meds and had a really rough time of it. See a few of Jane's post (this one or this one) for the details if you haven't already.

Now there is another dog in my life. She's a little beagley type that lives in Kentville with Taryn. Macy, the little thing, gets very excited when I visit (but I suppose she does that for everyone.) Here are few pics of her from my last visit. I think she's like the Native Americans who though a picture takes away part of your soul. She has a typical beagle yelp and howl and isn't afraid to share it.

I think she's a little spoiled and in some way leads a charmed life, but show me a dog who is loved and doesn't lead a charmed life? Anyway, that's my story for now. Hopefully more posts soon. Things are very busy at work and Isabelle is loving school. Maybe that's my next subject...

And now a few close-ups.

Maybe too close!

Sorry about the quality, my phone is a better phone than a camera.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Paul! A lovely post! The shot of Maggie at Milford is amazing. She is a great dog and I am glad she is doing OK. Macy still pauses at the end of your old driveway once in while on our walks as looks at me as if to say, "well? Aren't we going to visit?" and I have to say, "Maggie's not home" and she drops her head and moves on (you can almost hear her sigh).
Macy? Spolied? pbtttt!
Taryn