Monday, April 6, 2009

Soccer and a Southern Bistro

Now that we live so far away from family and old friends we don't get out as much as we used to. By that I mean just Jane and me. We haven't really settled on a regular sitter for Isabelle. One thing we have started doing is "Parent's Night Out" at the YMCA. They keep the kids entertained and fed (Papa John's Pizza-Isabelle's favorite) and the parents get from 6:00 to 10:00 to do what they want. Last Friday we went to Stella's Southern Bistro. It's a neat little place in Simpsonville that doesn't really look like much from the outside but is a true gem inside. The staff were very upbeat and knew their stuff. They had all sorts of advice and information about everything from the wine to the desserts. I started with a sampler plate that included crab dip, pickled okra, pimento cheese spread, fried green tomatoes, and toast. I'm not a big fan of pickled anything when it's not sweet but the okra was interesting. The main course was excellent. I didn't think I'd like grits as much as I do but it's all in how they're done. The shrimp and grits with a crab cake and fried okra was very good. It's the next best thing to rappie pie. (For those of you who came to visit and had grits with us I apologize. There are clearly good and bad places to have this-now I know the difference!) Jane had curried cauliflower soup to start. She quite liked it. On the other hand the pork chop and cheese grit with roasted turnip was less good. I think it was OK but not as good as my plate of shrimp and grits. On my scale this place gets a $$ for value (it is pricey but we expected that going in) and :):):) for the food. All in all I will recommend it to anyone who asks, especially the locals at work who didn't know about it. All in all a very good experience. Throw in some good service and you got yourself a *** review in my books. I almost forgot to mention to the rice pudding with caramel sauce. Jane ordered and I had a little taste. It was good. Personally I am not very big on caramel but the vanilla bean in the pudding really made sold me on it. In other news YMCA youth soccer began on Saturday. Isabelle's coach seems to know his stuff. He had them doing all sorts of things. For those of you who knew me in 2000 when I played club volleyball at Acadia for the second time, he reminds me of an older Matt Hopkins. I think Matt's in Calgary now. He always had a good attitude and a way with people. (Drop me a line if you're reading.) Here are some pictures of the first practice. Isabelle is wearing number 8, just like me. She really took to it especially when her friend from school arrived. Coach Aaron even had them doing throw ins. I also managed to catch some video. They are below. I think the one thing we really need to work on is not using our hands. I guess I'll have to practice with her in the back yard.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grandmere thinks that's a great job Isabelle.

Taryn said...

And I agree with Grandmere!

Well, seeing as I liked the grits I had at Cracker Barrel, I suppose I would really like the ones at the place you were!

PS-I got the stuff to make rappie pie when I was on shore tour #2 and it turned out AMAZING!