Thursday, March 26, 2009

Digital Diary II and Random Thoughts

A while back I went through some pictures and posted some of the more interesting ones. Here are a few more.
On the first day of March we had snow. This is a neat shot of the sundial we took with us from Kentville. It came to us from Wolfville where Jane's grandparents had it out in the front yard.
I've always had a thing for sundials and this one is particularly interesting. It has an inscription on it. It reads:
45-05-33 N 64-20-42W Helen Marion Kingdon from her brother Frederick Anderson Dec. 1936

Below is a shot of where that would be today. It seems to be in Kenny's Farm Market's backyard. However my sources tell me it came from a house near what used to be 99 Main, where Jane' grandparents lived. The numbering system in Wolfville has since changed. Below is where Google Earth puts that in relation to Acadia University and my old apartment in Wolfville on Blomidon Terrace. The house at 99 Main is just a few houses west of the sundial's location.

Jane's mother says that Grumpy bought the sundial from Mr. Kingdon. The Anderson connection of the family is interesting too. People just seemed to live very interesting lives in those days. Here is a website that explains what Capt. Frederick Anderson was all about (if you are interested). You will need to scroll down when you get there. Now to the present. Just the other night I took a shot of the neighbor's Bradford Pear tree (maybe). It might be something else...the jury is still out. In fact if it is a Bradford Pear it is actually a Callery Pear. I could explain but I don't think too many people care. The point I'm trying to make is that everything seems to be in bloom here. It reminds me of apple blossom time in Nova Scotia. Enough about that. Below is another picture from the museum in Charlotte. Isabelle and I are enjoying the intricacies of the wave generator. It kind of takes me back to my master's degree at MUN. Oh how time flies. It's hard to believe that was almost 12 years ago! Most of the people I keep up with from those days have moved on to all sorts of interesting things. Rob and Michelle, along with the family, are even moving to England. Finally here is a picture of Isabelle in her Acadian costume. This was taken at the Montessori International Night that took place downtown a few weeks ago. She never did wear the bonnet and the rest of the outfit didn't last very long, but for a while she looked like little Evangeline herself.

1 comment:

Taryn said...

Very interesting post, Paul! Seems strange that you posted about snow a few weeks ago and now you have blossoms :) We still have snow...will be a while before blossoms!