Friday, November 14, 2008

Off Again After a Rough Week

Well another week is done. If you check the post time on this you'll see I'm doing it midday on a Friday. No, I'm not at work doing, I've taken a day off after a really rough week. Work has been tough with lots of meetings and too much stress. Being here in the Central group means answering to lots of people in various places and balancing multiple priorities. Don't get me wrong, I love the work and the opportunities, but everything always seems easier from the outside looking in. I have to say the people here are very good. My colleagues are very supportive and helpful and I feel like I'm really starting to contribute but every now and then... At home we've had a house guest from home in Nova Scotia. Jane's friend has been here since Sunday and has had an opportunity to experience a little of the Upstate's food, flavors, culture, and shopping. The two of them, along with Isabelle and Maggie have been pretty busy. We had a little party for Jane on Tuesday (her birthday) and celebrated a little. Isabelle on the other hand is not well. She's picked a cough from school, I think, that has really knocked her down. She isn't sleeping well, which means no one in the house is sleeping well, and she's missed two swimming lessons. I think having a sick child is one of the most difficult parts of having kids so far. I feel so helpless because I can't make her feel better. In the end I guess time is the only thing that will help her get over it. Our guest leaves tomorrow and then I leave for Ireland again. This time I go through Atlanta and Dublin rather than Newark and Belfast. Hopefully I won't end up in Iceland this time. I'm also driving back form Atlanta rather than driving. It means I get back about 4 hours earlier and don't have to sit around the airport for 7 hours. After the trip comes American thanksgiving. Rhea, Jon, and Sam are looking to come down. It will be nice to see them again. Sam is like Isabelle, he's growing very fast and changing all the time. They should be around for a few days but we don't expect to get out too much. Sam still takes naps morning and afternoon (how civilized). It will be nice just to sit around and catch up. Thanksgiving here is a four day weekend. After that come some other friends from the Valley. One of Isabelle's best friends will be here with her parents. I'm taking some time off to play golf and show them around. It will be nice to see them since we haven't really been in touch much since we left. It will be interesting to see how Isabelle is with a friend visiting for a whole week. I suspect they'll get on e each other's nerves a little but the plan is to keep them busy and tire them out so they'll sleep at night and play hard all day. Shortly after they leave it will time for Christmas...oh how the time flies!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like real life has followed you to SC :)

Have fun with all of your visitors...I know they will!

Hope you feel better soon, Isabelle...Taryn

D said...

The dinner you made for Jane's birthday was delicious.

Thanks for your hospitality last week.
-Dawn