Friday, November 21, 2008

Down the Rocky Road and all the Way to Dublin...

OK so it might be a little cliche but the song has been with me since I found myself travelling to Dublin. As the song goes:
Our road to Dublin wasn't bad but like the roads everywhere else there was some construction and we did get caught up in a little traffic. The hotel turned out to be difficult to find but we got to the airport, returned the car, and eventually found the shuttle to the hotel. It is very nice but terribly small. The rooms are very modern and have an Internet connection (which it is always a bonus).
I was hoping to head into Dublin tonight rather than staying out at the airport but things just got the best of me here. The drive was long and we just popped out to the hotel restaurant for a few pints and a sandwich.
I know I've already mentioned this a few times but I can't get over the food here. Last night I went out with two fellows from Ballymenna to the Pavilion. It's in the golf club near Galgorm Castle and is a spot I was at the last time I was there. Well it turns out one of the fellows who took me there is the Men's Captain of the club. The Men's Captain is like any other team captain but because we're in the UK it comes with all sorts of privileges and perks, as well as responsibilities. (Apparently the year after the one year term you can play golf at any club in the UK for free, as well as a few in North America.) He explained how the restaurant had been through a change in management so they wanted to see how things were.
Well we were treated like royalty. Lots of wine and excellent service. I must say that after the first visit I wasn't impressed but now I think I'll go back. The eggs mayonnaise were good and the steak had a great pepper sauce. Dessert was good too. I had a chocolate fudge cake.
On Wednesday after spending the week with eight other auditors some of us decided to go out on our own. We ended up at a little English pub in Ballymenna. I ate a typical Irish meal of mixed grill. There was ham, pork chops, lamb chops, sausage, steak, portobello mushroom, grilled tomato, and an egg. All with vegetables and potato. It looked like this:
Afterwards we heard it was a bit of a dodgy place and that there is likely to be one or two fights a night there. In the end the cider and Guinness were good and we didn't get into any trouble, although I thought things might get a little edgy when they ran out of Guinness at the bar. i figured that would be a crime in Ireland.
Ballymenna also had some serious shopping this week with big sales and lots of people in the two shopping centers. Christmas is in full swing here as much as it is in the US. On Thursday they even blocked the streets and kicked off the season with carols and reindeer. Apparently they bring in real reindeer every year. I wasn't there (so I don't have a picture) but some of the other guys on the trip said it was quite the sight.
Wednesday I took a few hours to run an errand for our team in the office back in Greenville. I think I mentioned I went to Portrush to the Royal Portrush Golf Club for a gift. Portrush is a nice little town on the coast. The golf club is right on the beach in amongst the dunes. It is a nice course but very difficult (although short). The winds make it very challenging as the breeze off the North Sea is almost always blowing. My guide took me around town for a look. I got a few pictures. The one below is for all my the paddling friends at home in Nova Scotia. The surf was just pounding. It was a beautiful spot. The whole town is on a point and seems to be coming back from a hard few years. There aren't many things to do but if you like the beach and a quiet place to sit, read, or take the dog for a walk it can't be beat.

It may not seem like much now but when the sun comes out...

1 comment:

Taryn said...

I think your next career needs to be in the food critic arena!