Wednesday, July 30, 2008

If You Don't Like the Weather

It is still hot here although the weather is punctuated by spurts of extreme weather. Daytime highs remain in the mid to high nineties, and they tell me it won't let up until mid September.
Yesterday was cool-the weather, not the temperature. As I headed for bed I remembered I'd been so busy all evening that I hadn't checked the mail. When I went out I was amazed to see an incredible display of lightning, without the thunder! It was a very high up and mostly the flashes went from cloud to cloud. Every now and then one hit the ground. The whole thing was putting a show of pink, red and green that just incredible. I only wish I could have taken some pictures. The weird part was the lack of thunder. It must have been too far away.
Tonight, I was just about ready to go out and mow the lawn. The girl next door had actually started. All of a sudden, practically without warning, it starts to rain, then it pours! I just had a look at one of Maggie's dishes that I left outside and it is already about half full. That makes about 1 inch of rain in about 15 minutes. It's also sunny just a few hundred yards over. These are very isolated showers! My only issue now are the gutters. I need to find a way to get them cleaned-no small task since I got rid of my ladder and left it to my father while I'm down here. I didn't think I'd need it.
Tomorrow is looking good too-the forecast is for severe thunder storms. It could be an exciting night. I must say I'm enjoying the weather so far but I'm sure it will get old.
This week's project has been the mulch in the front of the house. I managed to spread over 25 bags of mulch on three beds. The whole thing looks much better now and it will make things easier when we mow. I still have two beds to sort out-the base of the tree and the mailbox. Hopefully I can get to those this weekend before Jane gets back.
Jane, Isabelle, and Maggie left Halifax this morning. They stopped by in Saulnierville and took in the Children's Parade at the Acadian Festival. They should be just about getting off the ferry from Yarmouth to Portland as I type this and will take a few days to make their way along the Atlantic coast and down to South Carolina. This time Elizabeth is along for the ride. It should be a grand adventure.
Lastly, here is a note and some pics for the Privateers out there (you know who you are). This is a shot of the back of the car. Note the stickers, particularly the skull and crossbones. I figure it's a way of expressing myself down here. Everyone seems to have a bumper sticker of some kind on their cars and SUVs. Anyway, these are mine and I'm looking for more. Now that I get to drive the old Subaru everywhere I've taken to making it my own. I even tinted the windows-more for the heat than for the effect.

No comments: