Monday, August 20, 2012

Issaqueena Falls, Stumphouse Tunnel, and Table Rock

This weekend's adventure was a drive up north to the western end of South Carolina. There is a place up there I have wanted to visit for a while now but never had the time. I managed to talk Yohann into going and Saturday morning we packed up the kids, a lunch, & our hiking boots, and we hit the road.

Our first stop was Issaqueena Falls. It is a beautiful waterfall located just north of Walhala. It is one of hundreds of great waterfalls that can be found all over the upstate. This one has an interesting history and legend about an Native American princess and her English lover.

Right next to the falls, just a few hundred meters away is Stumphouse Tunnel. It is one of several tunnels build by hand before and during the American Civil War. It was never finished. It seems that the railroad that intended to use them, the Blue Ridge Rail Road, ran out of money. The war may have also changed their plans. We visited it but I don't have any pictures. Have a look here for more information.

Here we are at the bottom of the falls.
Yohann and the kids under a ledge at the bottom of Issaqueena Falls.

Our last little tour was in Table Rock State Park. I love SC state parks. Table Rock is one I had not been to in over ten years. I hiked Table Rock once back when I was at Michelin School in my early years with Michelin. The plan was to get to another waterfall but we just didn't have enough time. We also didn't have the time or the energy to try the big hike this time either. Instead we did a little loop that took about an hour. There was lots to see including some amazing falls and slides. I hope to get back to Table Rock soon to hike to the top. Anyone want to come along? I'm thinking in the fall when the weather is a little cooler.

The kids enjoying the view. 
The boy and the girl playing on the rocks.
A good shot of the the father and daughter.
For those looking for more info on trails and hiking in South Carolina, I recommend the following site fro the SC Trails Program. It's a little dated but has lots of good information on some really neat things to see and do. Have a look.

No comments: