Monday, August 2, 2010

My Great Big Weekend

A few weeks ago, actually more like a month ago since it was the Fourth of July, we did something I've been meaning to do for a long time. We went to Lake Jocassee up in northern South Carolina. It's located in the mountains and part of it is actually in North Carolina.

The lake was great. Some people at work and others in town had told us how good the paddling was but I never really believed them. They also said how cold the water was. In fact the lake was very busy with boat traffic but manageable. The water was colder than other lakes and even the ocean down here but certainly was not as cold as I was led to believe. Here are some of the shots we took.

We took the big double kayak to the lake and paddled out to a part of the state park that is only accessible by boat for lunch. Hopefully we'll head out to do some camping there someday. The swimming was great. There were lots of fish in the water and the water itself was very clear compared to the other lakes I have been to here in the Upstate.

The lake is man made so there are lots of interesting features. I kept looking for a place with a big drop off and finally found one. That's what the videos show below.

Off course after such a huge day Isabelle was absolutely exhausted. She had a big nap in the kayak on the way back to the car. In fact the trip to the lake was on Sunday. The great big weekend I mention in the title has to do with the baseball game on Friday night (and staying to watch the fireworks after it), a party at one of the French families' house on Saturday night where the kids were up late to see the most amazing private fireworks in the area, and some fireworks in Greenville downtown on the way home from the lake. Put it all together and you have a huge weekend. I would have slept in the kayak if I could!

I hope you all have a great second half of the summer. Next-more reports on some of my travel over the last few weeks.

No comments: