Sunday, February 1, 2009

Kayak Update

Here I am blogging while the Superbowl is on. We just got back from the neighbor's house for a pre-game party. It's true that football is as big as religion her ein the U.S. No wait a minute, it's bigger than religion. In the end everyone had a good time with lots of food and friends from around the neighborhood. Everyone here seems to be a fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Only time will tell although at the end of the first half things look good so far. The kayak is coming along well. I have it mostly framed and everything seems to be straight and true. I cut the bow and stern today and put the center stringer on the front deck. Here are the pictures:

Stern looking forward.

The boat in profile (I'm glad I brought Peter's Workmate workbench)

The bow looking back to the stern.

The stations are plywood and I decided to use board instead of plywood for the bow and stern. I should be about ready to start skinning it next week, maybe on the weekend. There are a few options for the skin but I'm considering painted canvas over vinyl. The canvas gives me more flexibility for colors and designs. It also means less gluing and more sewing. Either way I need to do some research. Other than that the weekend was relativly quiet. We had some friends in for supper on Friday night. Saturday we just worked on things around the house and took it easy. We did go out to get bagels and a few groceries. Jane finally found a decent bagel supply. The store baught bagels here just don't match up to what we are used to. Today we managed to get out to the dog park for Maggie and the playgound for Isabelle. I think it did them both some good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whoa-quite a project, Paul! Looking good so far...
Taryn